I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I joined back in 1964 after a long struggle with faith. I had loved the Savior ever since I could remember, but the church of my youth deserted me as it moved into the intellect movement of the 60's. Without spiritual guidance, I fell away. The Lord distinguished between the words of my mouth and the longing of my heart. He knew that I wanted to believe and so he sent a young woman who told me the story of the Restored Gospel. She bore her testimony of Jesus Christ and promised me that I could know for myself and have my own testimony.

Now forty-six years later I can only thank her from the bottom of my heart for introducing me to the church. Indeed I do have my own testimony. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet, called to restore Christ's church to the earth. We have a prophet today who leads and guides us. I am so grateful for Latter-day scriptures that bear testimony of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is the Word of God. It stands as another witness of the Savior and it's truths have touched my life in very personal ways.

I hope that my poetry reflects the growth of my testimony and my love for Jesus Christ.

Surrounded by Peace

I do love mornings.  It is a quiet and reverent time when you can be alone.  It is my time for reading the scriptures, for prayer and for meditation.  There will be no phone calls nor texts nor emails to distract me.  I can be alone for just a little while and there find myself surrounded by peace. 

In the study guide for President Spencer W. Kimball, it tells about a time when he was recuperating from an illness and was staying with some friends.  One morning, they found the bed empty and assumed he had gone for a walk.  When he had not returned by 10:00 a.m., they began to worry and a search began.  "He was finally discovered several miles away under a pine tree.  His Bible lay next to him, opend to the last chapter of St. John.  His eyes were closed, and when the search party came up to him he remained as still as when they first caught sight of him.

"Their frightened voices aroused him, however, and when he lifted his head they could see traces of tears on his cheeks.  To their questions, he answered, 'Five years ago today I was called to be an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I just wanted to spend the day with Him whose witness I am.'"

I have been inspired by this story to change my paradigm of prayer and scripture study.  I like to think that mornings are when I just spend a little time with the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment