I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I joined back in 1964 after a long struggle with faith. I had loved the Savior ever since I could remember, but the church of my youth deserted me as it moved into the intellect movement of the 60's. Without spiritual guidance, I fell away. The Lord distinguished between the words of my mouth and the longing of my heart. He knew that I wanted to believe and so he sent a young woman who told me the story of the Restored Gospel. She bore her testimony of Jesus Christ and promised me that I could know for myself and have my own testimony.

Now forty-six years later I can only thank her from the bottom of my heart for introducing me to the church. Indeed I do have my own testimony. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet, called to restore Christ's church to the earth. We have a prophet today who leads and guides us. I am so grateful for Latter-day scriptures that bear testimony of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is the Word of God. It stands as another witness of the Savior and it's truths have touched my life in very personal ways.

I hope that my poetry reflects the growth of my testimony and my love for Jesus Christ.

The Journey to Perfection

If there is nothing else we learn in life it is probably just how imperfect we are.  And yet in the Sermon on the Mount, the Savior said "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."  I have come to understand that scripture through the words of Brad Wilcox who made a statement to the effect that we should not just be asking ourselves, "Have I been saved by grace?" but also, "Have I been changed by grace?"

That change comes as we turn to the Savior in all things.  When He is utmost in our hearts, that wonderful "mighty change of heart" which is so well illustrated in the Book of Mormon comes to us personally.  Our time spent in the scriptures and in prayer and in service to others slowly transforms us.  And when we come up against a brick wall of our own weakness we find the Savior all too willing to help us.  Our response of love and gratitude to Him again causes us to change.  And so, knowing all of this, I dare say that I have begun the"Journey to Perfection".


No comments:

Post a Comment