I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I joined back in 1964 after a long struggle with faith. I had loved the Savior ever since I could remember, but the church of my youth deserted me as it moved into the intellect movement of the 60's. Without spiritual guidance, I fell away. The Lord distinguished between the words of my mouth and the longing of my heart. He knew that I wanted to believe and so he sent a young woman who told me the story of the Restored Gospel. She bore her testimony of Jesus Christ and promised me that I could know for myself and have my own testimony.

Now forty-six years later I can only thank her from the bottom of my heart for introducing me to the church. Indeed I do have my own testimony. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet, called to restore Christ's church to the earth. We have a prophet today who leads and guides us. I am so grateful for Latter-day scriptures that bear testimony of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is the Word of God. It stands as another witness of the Savior and it's truths have touched my life in very personal ways.

I hope that my poetry reflects the growth of my testimony and my love for Jesus Christ.

On Comparing

I have learned that one sure way to be unhappy is to compare what you have to those who have more.  It works every time.  Everything you have and love can at once seem inadequate.  In contrast, one sure way to be happy is to thank the Lord every day for that which you have.  The expression of gratitude expands our capacity to feel joy.  

Harold Kushner, in his book The Lord Is My Shepherd:  Healing Wisdom of the 23rd Psalm, writes: "In the traditional Jewish liturgy the first three minutes of the morning service remind the worshipper to be grateful that he is alive, that his body works, that he had food to eat and clothes to wear, that he has things to do today that will demonstrate his humanity, and that he has friends to share the day with.

Our ability to receive God’s blessings with thanksgiving will never outstrip God’s ability to bless us.  For those who have cultivated the habit of gratitude, no matter how large a bowl we set out to receive God’s blessings, it will always overflow."

In an article entitled A Predictable Process for Joy by H. Wallace Goddard , Brother Goddard shares  "a remarkably predictable process for flooding our souls with refreshing joy. Are you interested in joy? Consider the scriptural invitation:

. . . nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours. And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more. (D&C 78:18-19, emphasis added)

There is hardly anything that will refresh our souls more than the “attitude of gratitude.” When we receive all things with gratitude, we are made glorious—and not just in some distant future, but right now.

Do you want a stiff jolt of joy? Sit down and record those things for which you are grateful."



No comments:

Post a Comment